I came across a funny thing this morning that just about drove me crazy. I was trying to test for a live webcast and for some reason I couldn’t see the picture via the web. I tried about a dozen things, eventually I got it running with VLC but a webcast isn’t much of one if it isn’t on a webpage.
Then I tried one of the other computers in the house and had no issues whatsoever.
I’m still not sure what the problem was, but it has something to do with Vista and WMP11 I think. I did however come upon the solution.
If you run this via Start->Run or a command prompt it will again register the Windows Media Net Manager DLL. Apparently now and then there is some registry corruption which could cause problems and this little piece of code re-adds all the information and reloads the needed DLL.
I’m not sure on the specifics honestly but I did find this article on re-registering DLLs.